Monday, February 4, 2008

Be Excellent to each other - William S. Preston, Esq. (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure)

A little Public Service Announcement.

This is all common sense. We all know this. But it bears saying.

Just as I was finishing my last post, my boss came over to me and my co-worker and we were discussing an error message in the software I was working with. At the end of the discussion, my boss said that her husband of many years was going in for open heart surgery. My co-worker and I heard what she said peripherally, but continued working and my boss walked off.

What do you do?

When it occurred to me what was said, we went and found my boss and sat her down and talked about the surgery and her fears and we hugged her and said we'd be there for her. It helped her. It helped us.

I am not a man publicly known for kindness, but I try to be a good citizen. Yet, I know that I while I am hearing, I am not always listening.

Do yourself a favor. Today, stop and listen and realize that this work we do is suppose to support our lives away from work, not the other way around. Listen to those around you and be kind. Be excellent to each other. When you go to the store today, smile and say 'thank you.' Today, for me, try and be the people we always wished we would be.

Who knows, it might help someone, it might help you.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment