Monday, April 13, 2009

Reciprocity and the nature of giving

Hands grasp, but also give.
Mouth tastes, but also speaks.
Nose breathes, but also smells.
Eyes see, but also show.
Ears hear, but also balance.

The hands teach us not to be selfish.
The mouth teaches us to give thanks in word and song.
The nose teaches us to learn from our environment.
The eyes teach us to show compassion and sincerity.

All parts of ourselves both give and receive. They function on a principle of reciprocity inherent in their very character. If our senses are so noble, shouldn't we be as well?


The Tao is the way and the way is the path that carries us. You can call it whatever you want, but it's the journey. The question is, is the journey leading you into a circle. Do you follow the same old patterns over and over again wondering when you can get off the ride? I know I do.

Patience. I have said a million times that I am as patient as a mountain, and I am, when it comes to waiting on what I want. When it comes to waiting at the hospital for a child to be born or a sick person to be well, it kills me. I need to know that everything will be ok with people I care about. It's torture, literally. It's also ridiculously selfish.

Reciprocity. Those around me give so much and ask so little, are we selfishly impatient when it comes to their needs? I think sometimes we are.

I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment